Liz Cameron and Sam Rivera Demonstration: Saturday, May 20, 2023 Workshop: Sunday, May 21, 2023 Desert Metal Craft, 544 E. 24th St., Tucson, AZ 09:00 - 12:00: Liz Cameron, Heat Treating Steel Smiths heat treat
Liz Cameron and Sam Rivera
Demonstration: Saturday, May 20, 2023
Workshop: Sunday, May 21, 2023
Desert Metal Craft, 544 E. 24th St., Tucson, AZ
09:00 – 12:00: Liz Cameron, Heat Treating Steel
Smiths heat treat steel to change its microstructure and to bring out the physical and mechanical
characteristics they desire in their metal. There is little that frustrates a smith more than a quench that ruins
hours or weeks of forging.
Guesswork is not enough. An understanding of steel microstructures and heat treatment processes gives
smiths a detailed inside look at the metal they are working, and helps them master their steel and predict
how it will behave. This is truly where art meets science.
1:30 – 4:00: Sam Rivera, Chile Pepper Bottle Openers
Sam will demonstrate making his very popular chile pepper bottle openers. But this will be
more than just a forging demo. Sam will talk about the metal dyes and finishes he uses on these
chile peppers. He plans to have some small quantities of these dyes for sale. He will also talk
about the clear coat he uses, and how he gets great results from inexpensive spray guns.
* Registration begins at 8:00 AM, the demonstration starts at 9:00 AM.
* Registration fee: $15 for members, $20 for non-members,
* Tailgating is encouraged. Tailgaters, please consider donating to Iron in the Hat.
* Bring things for Iron-In-the-Hat.
NOTE: No folded tickets. Any folded tickets that are drawn will be thrown away.
* Bring things for Show-and-Tell. Don’t forget to put your name on anything you bring for Show-and-Tell.
* Lunch is on your own. There are several good restaurants in the neighborhood.
* Make your own chile pepper bottle openers including the high tech final finishes.
* Sunday, May 21, 2023, from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
* The fee for the workshop is $100.
* Contact Richard Rozinski at 602-803-7255 or firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
Remember Iron in the Hat
Thanks to all of you who have participated in Iron in the Hat. By purchasing tickets and donating items,
you help support AABA events and projects. Items for donation can be a tool, piece of art, something you
made specifically for iron in the hat, something you don’t need in your shop, a great book, a t-shirt, a hat …
something an AABA member would enjoy.
Safety glasses are always required in the demonstration area.
Hearing protection, closed-toe shoes, and long clothes of natural fibers are recommended.
Also, observe safety requirements of our host, Desert Metalcraft.
No synthetic fibers, only clothing and footwear made from natural materials, such as cotton, canvas, wool,
linen, silk, leather, hemp and so on. No open-toed shoes. Steel-toed footwear recommended but not
mandatory. Please wear long sleeves for welding; short sleeves are fine for general smithing. Shorts are
Directions to Desert Metal Craft
544 E. 24th St., Tucson, AZ
* I-10 to the 22nd Street exit.
* East on 22nd Street to 2nd Avenue.
* South (right) on 2nd Avenue to 24th Street.
* East (left) on 24th Street.
* Desert Metal Craft is one block east at the railroad tracks.
(Saturday) 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Desert Metal Craft
544 E 24th St